August Already?
My mother used to say, "There are two seasons: July and Winter." She also used to say, "You spend all summer getting ready for Winter." I have learned just how right my mother was on both points.
As summer was approaching back in June I had it in my head that before summer was over, I would have the front porch painted. The house completely pressure washed. The new railing on the front porch stained. And stained again.
I live in northern New York. Those of us who have lived here for a while realize Winter can start in October and last through May so any planned summer projects must be ready to go when the weather dictates. We have had a rainy summer. Some of those rainfalls have been torrential with strong winds. In fact, one storm came with a microburst, taking down a beautiful, enormous maple tree in the backyard. So, despite it being summertime, it is hard to get much done with the storms. But I have made progress. My mother would be proud.
So far, I have been able to get the house pressure washed and the railing on the front porch stained. But just once. It still needs another staining. The porch still needs to be painted. Just once. I am sure I will get those projects completed before the snow flies. But to be honest. I get distracted on hot summer days with the beauty out in the fields and along country roads that surround us. Between the wildflowers and the Amish farms with their stands full of fresh vegetables and homemade jams and jellies and breads and crocheted items and handsewn items and kittens and horses running around, along with children playing, it is so very hard to think of painting anything with those wildflowers blooming and Amish farms at every turn.
I know I will get those projects finished before Winter. That is, if it doesn't start snowing in October. My mother knew what she was talking about. I best heed her words.
Comments
Post a Comment