Creamsicle with Whiskers


The attached photo is misleading. This post is actually about a stray cat residing out back in the barn, but I can't get close enough to 'her' to get a good picture. Why did I choose to post a photo of yummy Creamsicles? Let me tell you the story.

The old barn has housed many a stray cat. Most check in for a night or so then keep on moving along. We normally don't see them again. I'm sure some have homes with heat, food, and hopefully lots of loving but despite what they have, they like to wander. Go on an adventure, then head back home for a while before going back out around the neighborhood or, in our case, back out around the fields and old barns.

Last year we really took to a particular stray. Every time I would see him, I would hurry to feed him in hopes he would stay around a little longer than before. It usually worked. It got to the point where he would come up from the barn to a certain tree. Then sit there until I brought food out to him. Eventually he did not run away. I was able to sit nearby and talk to him, even pet him while he ate and drank. It wasn't long before he would run after me if I started to leave, batting at my feet with a paw, as if asking me to stay and play. And so, I would sit back down and play and talk and pet him. By that point we had named him Randy, after a character in a TV ad. 

It fit him.

One summer night it started pouring outside. Then the thunder and lightning struck. That's when I noticed Randy sitting by the back door. I could tell he was seeking shelter from the storm. So, I opened the door and in he came. Randy didn't like being in the house. He ended up sitting by the back door. So, I opened it and back out he went, into the storm and most likely, back down to the barn. I assumed other strays had checked in down there. After all, it was quite the stormy night. Going to the barn made sense. There was no check in. No reservations needed. First come, first served. No tipping required. 

A few weeks later on a beautiful Sunday morning, three days before I planned on taking Randy to a Vet for a check-up, I happened to look out the kitchen window. My heart sank to my toes. Tears came to my eyes when seeing a ball of fluff on the side of the road. I knew it was Randy. I stood in the kitchen staring out that window hoping she would get up and run into the field. But that never happened. I found a shovel and took care of Randy as graciously as I could.

From that point on, my son and I avoided making any contact with stray cats in the barn. I left no food. I turned my back-until one day I happened to look out towards the barn and saw the most beautiful cat I have ever seen. 'She' was so puffy. Sort of orangish-like a Creamsicle-a Creamsicle with whiskers. We fell in love with Creamsicle. I take her out food and treats whenever she shows up out by the barn. And when she does show up, we let out a happy yell around the house, "Creamsicle is here!"

I have not been able to get near her. I have yet to get any good photos of that beautiful puffball. When she does return, she will sit by the barn door and stare at the house as if saying, "I'm back and I'm hungry."
And if I am home and see her sitting there, I hurry to bring her food and more than enough treats-so many more!



Comments

  1. Your blog has become a virtual mentor, providing valuable insights on various topics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Pinch of This and A Dash of That

Those Small Milk Cartons With Straws

Oh Those Netted Crinolines