Old Cupboards at Christmastime

 


Old cupboards, like two of mine I am featuring in this Post, have always intrigued me. With drawers and shelves and files, they offer so many options for storing stuff, displaying stuff and hiding stuff. Better yet, stories of long ago are in the drawers, on the shelves and in those files. You just have to listen. And when it is Christmastime, those old cupboards become even more intriguing once they are dressed in twinkling lights or Santas or fresh greenery, candy canes, old crocks, Holiday art and decorations. 

I stumbled upon the smaller cupboard at a place opening up several years ago. They were taking items on consignment. At that time, I was just beginning to dabble in art, using mostly markers and having no clue what I was doing. Looking back, I am so glad I went. While the owner did end up taking a few of my pieces, it was a simple cupboard off in a corner that made my day. Of all the stuff in that place, I felt that little cupboard was mine even before I took a closer look. The wood-the plank boards-were rough. None of it matched yet I fell in love with that plain, brandless cupboard with its three shelves and one plain knob. There was just something about its simpleness. 

A few days later, the owner of the shop delivered it to me, and it has been with me ever since. At the moment, it is sitting in the small hallway by the front door all decked out for Christmas. It gets lots of compliments. Some ask about it. 

One conversation led me to its creator. Its designer. Its dreamer.

I learned the man who built that narrow cupboard was a friend of my grandparents and an aunt and uncle who enjoyed refinishing antiques. Once I heard his name, I knew where he had lived. I understood his connection with some in my family as they too loved things like old cupboards with stories and rough plank boards that didn't match. Antiques tell stories. My narrow cupboard told a story that caught my eye.

The other cupboard belonged to my mother. She used it in a few shops she owned for displays. I can still see bolts of fabric stacked one on top of another. And beautiful sweaters beautifully displayed. And the jewelry. And hat pins. And feathers for hats. 

Best of all the little nails she used for displaying necklaces are still there. Still waiting for their next assignment.

Right now, both old cupboards are awaiting Christmas. Both are hiding gifts. Those gifts will be put under the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. And the next day, those old cupboards will have another story to tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pinch of This and A Dash of That

Those Small Milk Cartons With Straws

Oh Those Netted Crinolines