Thank You, Sweaters

I am a Winter Lover. 
The more it snows and blows the better. The beauty of the season has always taken my breath away, from sunrises and sunsets to frosty fields and ice-covered landscapes, as well as snowdrifts up to the hips. However, this winter has found me complaining, just a little. You see, where I live in northern New York, the consistent temperature has lingered way below zero for days and nights. By below zero I'm talking 25 to 35+ below zero. The house moans and groans. The furnace goes nonstop, and I continue to try to stay warm.

Homemade soups, coffee (more than usual), hot chocolate, more soups and casseroles with homemade breads, long johns, candles, piles of blankets, and turning the heat up all continue to come to my aid. But most soothing, day and night, have been my sweaters.

I've always loved sweaters. Before this winter, comfort was most important in a sweater. Now, after the month of January set record below normal temperatures, warmth has taken over as my top priority when choosing a sweater. I love cardigans and pullovers and turtlenecks if the turtleneck isn't overflowing. Styles can have zippers or hooks & eyes or buttons. I can't handle sleeves that stop before the shoulder. I don't know the fashion name for such a style, but that style is not for me, especially when choosing a sweater to keep me warm.

Warmth is the reason why some days I've worn two sweaters. The ultimate has been burying myself in blankets and comforters while wearing my most comfortable and very warm knit toque. 

So far this winter, fashion has been discarded for the basics of survival.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pinch of This and A Dash of That

Those Small Milk Cartons With Straws

Oh Those Netted Crinolines