Gathering of the Santas

Along with the Christmas ornaments my parents bought at what was once a Woolworths store in what was once a downtown, and along with an old, tattered elf dressed in now a faded green-one of my father's favorite elves-I've again gathered all the Santas big and small that were brought out to celebrate Christmas.

A few, like the ones hand painted over fifty years ago and the tiny ones bought at a Britts Dept. Store when I was the Ad Manager, and the ones still intact but a little ripped, part of a paper chain and those bought at craft shows over the years all hung on the tree.
Some of the Santas on display about the house I'd discovered in a magical shed full of Christmas wreaths and one-of-a-kind, handmade decorations and centerpieces out on a back country road-the very same place we've gone to for years in search of the perfect Christmas tree. One of those precious Santas came with its own wicker sled with its own wooden reindeer and miniature toys. The other one is made of tin. I really love tin.
Another Santa is whimsically designed by the talented artist, Mary Engelbreit. Titled, "Believe."
Other Santas were my mother's. She'd put them out every year on the mantle in the living room when we lived above the funeral home.
All those Santas hold memories of Christmases over the years. When I look at them, I see the various places we've called home and the many holidays they've enriched by their presence.
I can hear my father laughing. See him decorating the trees. I can smell my mother's peanut butter balls and chocolate syrup and butterscotch puddings.
I see little ones now grown up.
I see loved ones who have passed.
I feel the magic of snow falling and the hustle and bustle with Santa coming and that wonder in the air as family gathers once more.
So, the Santas have earned their place in the tattered box where I store all the ornaments. They go in first. Once they are in place, they will be joined by their fellow friends-wooden snowmen, snowmen faces drawn by little ones who included their signatures, hearts made out of fabric, one red, wooden heart straight from the North Pole, reindeer, teddy bears, mice, snowflakes, a Charlie Brown fabric face, a fabric dove, a fabric cow and bear, a small sailboat, a sand dollar from South Carolina, old Christmas ornaments from Grants and Newberry's, ornaments made in elementary classes and so many more.

All stitched or colored or sewn with love. All so very happy to be resting with all of those Santas in wait of yet another Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pinch of This and A Dash of That

Those Small Milk Cartons With Straws

Oh Those Netted Crinolines