The Women Wore Pearls and Cardigan Sweaters

I've posted this photo before showing me with my cousin standing on a sidewalk in what used to be the downtown of our hometown. It was taken after a parade in the summertime. We'd been part of a float celebrating the 19th Amendment. This is the only personal photo I have of that downtown. I can't run out and take a new photo because the downtown is no longer there. All that remains are a few buildings that escaped the wrecking ball. The rest of that downtown is tucked away in my heart.

There are so many memories:enjoying milkshakes at soda fountains; stopping at at my uncle's shoe store where a merry-go-round for kids was quite popular; spending time in a small bookstore with my mother and feeling my imagination stirred by the smell of all those printed words in one space; going with my mother to a fancy dress shop and being told to sit in a chair and not to budge an inch; going with my mother to a men's shop that I seem to remember had two doors, and of all the merchandise stuffed on the many shelves, it was a display of belts that I remember the most-especially the beaded belts that looked like the old Wild West; shopping for ties for my father in another men's shop that was a little fancier than the one with the beaded belts; spending what seemed hours in a little store that was always busy with people bringing film in to be developed and young teens going through rows of 45 rpms and vinyl records; trying fancy hats on in a millinery shop with my cousin and laughing at ourselves in the mirror; finding treasures in the two five and dime stores sitting side by side; going to lunch with an aunt, siblings and cousins to a popular downtown restaurant while out for the day Christmas shopping.

There were so many more wonderful stores and places of business in that downtown full of memories. As I was thinking about them I realized that most of the women who either owned or worked in the stores were always dressed up. Their hair was always in place. Their make-up was flawless as were their smiles and genuine desire to assist you. A few of those stores were very small in size yet they offered a wide assortment of high quality merchandise. I'd always be with my mother who'd carry on lovely conversations with any of the women assisting her in those stores. Once she selected the items she wanted to purchase, the shop owner would take out white boxes and carefully put sheets of white tissue paper inside. Then she'd take the merchandise one item at a time, fold the item, and gently place it in the box. When  the box was full, she'd carefully cover the merchandise with more white tissue paper, patting it down in place before putting the top on.

While that process was going on, I'd be looking at the woman's hands with polished nails. The way she held the tissue paper was a thing of beauty. It was like watching a maestro absorbed in the music. Most all the women wore sparkling rings. Most all the women wore pearls and many wore cardigan sweaters with their dresses or skirts. Most all wore heels or a good flat shoe probably from my uncle's shoe store.

Shopping in that downtown felt like Mayberry. Andy Griffith was surely around the corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pinch of This and A Dash of That

Those Small Milk Cartons With Straws

Oh Those Netted Crinolines