Late Night Movies with my Father

When I was a little older and when summer vacation hit, I'd stay up after the late news and watch the late movie with my father. He'd sit in his chair and would usually fall asleep before it was over. He always said dozing off in that chair was the best sleep ever for him.

There was never a hesitation if I'd be able to watch any of the nightly, feature-length fil ms. They were all decent movies with no overload of special effects or violence or sex. They were good, solid movies with no effects needed. The acting did all of that. I'd either curl up on the couch or on the floor with blankets and a pillow and go off on adventures with Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, Jimmy Stewart, Rita Hayworth, Marlon Brando, Natalie Wood, Robert Wagner, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Henry Fonda, Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart, Gregory Peck, William Powell, John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Elizabeth Tayor, Richard Burton, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Cary Grant, Doris Day, James Cagney, Kirk Douglas, Gene Kelley-and so, so many more! All superb and talented actors and actresses who kept me up until after 1 a.m.

I always knew when those two night owls popped up on our TV screen-sitting on a branch with the moon overhead announcing the movie was about to start that it was again time for my special couple of hours with my father-even if he did fall asleep!

Comments

  1. Such special memories. I have similar ones with my granny. Instead of movies, though, we watched TV shows on the set in her bedroom. She would sit propped up with her feather pillows behind her back and I would lie on my stomach at the foot of her bed. We'd watch My Three Sons, Ozzie and Harriet, Father Knows Best, Bonanza, Ed Sullivan and Lawrence Welk - among others. Thanks for reminding me of those precious times.
    Deb Tudor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all those TV shows you mentioned Deb. There wee so many great shows!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Pinch of This and A Dash of That

Those Small Milk Cartons With Straws

Oh Those Netted Crinolines